Wednesday, January 02, 2013

[Lisa's Take] Year Review 2012

I only reached my 50 book goal this year by the barest of definitions.  I started 3 books in the last week so that I could use them to pad the list, even though I'm only part way through each of them.  Pathetic, no?  The list below also only has 49 books on it - that's because I know for a fact that I read something else in the realm of numbers 31-33, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.  Must have made quite an impression, no?

Anyway, I blame the low numbers on a couple of factors.  For the first time in years (maybe in my life?) I watched a non-trivial amount of TV this year.  Being on the road every week for work is a lonely prospect, and evidently watching shows instead of reading keeps my mind off it better.  The other factor is that I spent the last 2 weeks of December shotgunning almost 2000 pages of manga.  Yes, really.  JD got me an iPad for Christmas and loaded it up with a good comic reader and several manga series I've been wanting to read.  One of them, Nana, I have been wanting to finish for quite some time.  I reacted in typical addict fashion and did nothing but chew through that for days on end.

Right, enough with the justifications!  I read 18296 pages in 2012, for an average of 51 pages read per day, and an average book length of 358 pages. I, uh, read a lot of novellas.  On to the book list!

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton
The Temporal Void by Peter F. Hamilton
The Evolutionary Void by Peter F. Hamilton
When we were executioners by J M McDermott
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Seed by Rob Ziegler
Among Others by Jo Walton
Ganymeade by Cherie Priest
Freedom & Necessity by Steve Brust & Emma Bull
A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin
Emperor Mollusk versus the Sinister Brain by  A Lee Martinez
Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes
The Dragon Path by Daniel Abraham
The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham
Unchained and Unhinged by Jay Lansdale
Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks
The Master of Heathcrest Hall by Galen Beckett
Last light of the sun by Guy Gavriel Kay
Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman
Redshirts by John Scalzi
The Spirit Thief  by Rachel Aaron
The Spirit Rebellion by Rachel Aaron
Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey
The Spirit Eater by Rachel Aaron
The Stranger's Magic by Max Frei
Anathem by Neal Stephenson
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot
The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks
Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book 1) by  Jay Kristoff
The Last Four Things by Paul Hoffman
Legion by Brandon Sanderson
Gods of Risk: An Expanse Novella by James S. A. Corey
Railsea by China Mieville
An Election by John Scalzi
The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Butcher of Anderson Station: An Expanse Novella by James S. A. Corey
The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemisin
The Shadowed Sun by N. K. Jemisin
The Great Bazaar by Peter V. Brett
The Emberor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson
Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
Hidden Things by Doyce Testerman
Cold Days by Jim Butcher
House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier
Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton
The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas
Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

My top 5 books (or groups of books, because I'm a cop-out) of 2012 are:
- The Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton
- Novels of the Expanse by  James S. A. Corey
- The Dagger and Coin Trilogy by Daniel Abraham
- Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
- Among Others by Jo Walton

Here's to 2013, and hopefully a more robust list!

No comments: