Thursday, March 06, 2008

[Mini Review] Lisa’s Take - Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (Corey Doctorow)

(What's up with this review?)

I love Corey Doctorow so damn much. So So Damn Much. Sorry, had to try that phrase again with the appropriate capitalization. This book of his is yet another sci-fi-almost-cyber-punk-not-so-far-in-the-future imagining – it’s his favorite genre to write, you can’t blame him.

Down & Out certainly isn’t my favorite book of his (that award easily goes to Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town), but it’s still a damn fine read. It has some really interesting themes (every geek needs to know about Wuffie), and it will instill in you an appreciation for Disney World that’s… kind of unnatural.

My one gripe is that Corey really does have a formula of betrayal that he likes to follow – if you know how the betrayal happens in Eastern Standard Tribe, you can pretty much figure out how Down & Out is going to go. Still, that’s easily set aside by having the privilege of reading such entertaining candy. This one is easy to consume all at once in an afternoon.

The Bottom Line: Up! Read it!

2 comments:

JD said...

Backwards, I believe! He wrote Down and out before EST. :D And you're absolutely right about Wuffie. I keep meaning to spice up my conversations (and geek cred) by referring to things increasing or decreasing my Wuffie.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that Strick exists on personal Wuffie-based economy.

LisaBit said...

Hey, I never said that EST came first, just they they have the same hook ;P THBBBBBT!

Also... goddamn you're so Right about Strick!! I never knew!